Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Garden in May


Spring is finally here and things are blooming and growing. The boys and I finally got around to planting a vegetable garden.
A few weeks ago, we sowed some mesclun lettuce seeds in an old under the bed storage bin and have enjoyed some delicious salads.













We used a small sandbox to plant beans (on the outside), radishes and carrots in the middle. The radishes look good- a great vegetable for the immediate gratification gardener, but I don't have much hope for the carrots. I built a small (4x2 ft) raised bed garden out of some old wood. We planted some peppers, butternut squash, cucumbers, and zucchini.





On the other side of the house in a small bed near the unsightly hvac and water meter, I planted few tomatoes - a gift of our green thumb neighbor. It's been raining a lot, so I hope we have a great crop. I planted a few herbs too: cilantro, basil and thyme.



Our lavender and mint has come back too. I love the wonderful mingling of aromas as I walk around the backyard. The boys are very excited and enjoy checking on the progress of our vegetables every day.



My lovely Siberian irises are growing. I divided them last fall and planted a big clump in the front. They did not disappoint. Twice as big as last year. I just love the way the purple just pops. These are in the backyard.

No comments: