Monday, June 28, 2010

VBS Crafts


My blog's a little dusty, since I've been neglecting it recently. I've been wrapping up my moms club duties, and it's taken some time. And now I'm gearing up for Vacation Bible School! I'm the craft lady. That's what you get for starting a craft blog. I'm so thankful I did, because in addition to using the crafts that came with the curriculum, I'll be mining my blog archive for craft ideas. Nothing like using old standards. I like the ease of use with the curriculum crafts, but they're not that open-ended, and I want to give kids some options. The theme is Planet Zoom, with a "bee" figuring prominently in the visual aids and crafts. The age is kindergarten through the 6th grade. I'm going to have a craft associated with the Bible story for each day along with two stations. One for card making, which I'm going to send with my next package of stuffed animals to troops stationed in Afghanistan. The other station is for pom-pom bugs, especially bees.

For the K - 1st grades, I'm going to be working on the hive/bee thumbprint craft. This should be lots of fun with minimal mess. One of the days will focus on Jesus feeding the 5,000. I thought this would be a good time to work in my pom-pom sundae crafts, using them as an opportunity to show Christ's love by making a treat for someone they love. I might also use the craft foam sandwiches too, since one group can make sandwiches, while the other makes sundaes. I'll probably do this bee craft with them as well. Or this, which might be easier.

The older kids will do the curriculum crafts, but with the option of making keychain critters from pony beads. Of course, I found instructions for a bee. I also need to rummage through our halloween supply for my bee costume. I thought that would go over well with the kids.

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. Bee good.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (New International Version)

6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."


Joshua 1:9 (New International Version)

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."


No comments: