Tuesday, May 18, 2010

15 minute Super Hero Cape

The boys have been into super heroes lately; Superman, Spiderman, Batman, The Incredibles have all come up during their play. And honestly, what boy hasn't wanted to be a super hero? Sure a towel and a clothespin could do, but I wanted something with a little more finish.

A few years back, my husband and I agreed we needed a Christmas tree skirt. I bought a simple red felt one for 5 bucks. He bought a nicer red and green velvet-type one. We use his. The red one's been languishing in the bottom of a box of holiday decorations until recently - when I got the idea to make capes out of it. It took me 15 minutes to make 4 capes for the boys.


I began by cutting four equal wedges out of the tree skirt. You'll notice it has some decorative edging, but I didn't really mind that. I like felt because you don't have to worry about finishing edges. I knew there was a pretty good chance these would be destroyed in a couple of weeks, so I gathered some old ribbon from a gift we received some time ago. The ribbon's yellow with red writing that says "thank you." I figured that was appropriate for a super hero with all the rescuing they do. You can also add embellishments like initials or emblems, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.


I took the point of a cape and folded it over about 4-5 inches. I created a channel about 2 inches wide for the ribbon to slip through.

Then, I secured the ribbon by stitching it to the cape at the ends of the channel openings.

It is a great size, because it's not too long and it fans out... very cape-like.

Voila! Here's Tater modeling it...

And here it is in action...

Another addition to a fun and growing dress-up bin full of pretend-play potential. A few moms pointed out the choking hazard of the tied straps, so I ended up cutting them down and adding velcro to the ends.

No comments: