Friday, February 5, 2010

Double Sided Apron

My least favorite time of the day is 4:30pm. It's when the boys wake up from naps, if they nap. It's also when I have to think about making dinner. Before kids, I'd spend hours preparing meals; making reductions, baking cheesecakes. Last week, I broke down and made tuna casserole. TUNA CASSEROLE! It's the last lap of my day. I have 1 1/2 hours before hubby gets home. The boys slowly began their meltdown. And along with contemplating dinner, I consider the sink full of dishes afterward. I kinda have a bad attitude about it.

Partly, the winter is to blame. I think I have a little seasonal effective disorder or whatever its called. I don't like it getting dark so soon. We've also had unusually snowy weather. We're expecting our second big snow soon. 2 feet! I love snow, but not Buffalo, NY, snow. I needed a little more color in my life.

I saw some cute aprons at various sites, so I thought I take some cheery fabric I had and make my own! Now, at least I have a splash of color and pattern to get me through. I'm going to make some more for friends and family members.

To Make:

1. I cut two pieces the same size, about 26 x 20 inches with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I didn't wash my fabric first, so I accounted for a little shrinkage. I folded it over and cut an arch out of what will be the bottom of the apron. You can skip this part, but I like the curve.

2. Putting the right sides together, I sewed around the apron using a 1/2 inch seam. I left two holes about 3 inches wide at the top of both sides of the apron. This way, I can turn the fabric inside-out and slide in the straps. Press with a hot iron.

3. For the straps, I cut two strips of fabric 26 x 4 inches long. I folded them lengthwise, right sides together and pressed them. I sewed around the straps with a 3/8" seam, leaving one end open. I turned them inside out, pressed them, and slid them into the holes.

4. Finally, I sewed all around the apron about 3/8 inch from the edge for a finished look.

Here are some photos...


No comments: