Friday, January 29, 2010

Handmade Napkins



I decided to sew some napkins. I'd like to go paperless in my kitchen, but I've become too dependent on my paper towels and Clorox wipes for cleaning up. So, I'm hoping this will balance some of it out. Plus, it is a nice way to add some cheery fabric to your table. I cut 12 14 x 14" pieces of fabric for my napkins. Some dinner napkins are larger, but I feel like I'm covered in a sheet. I folded each edge over 1 inch and pressed it with a hot iron. To save time, I used heavy card stock and marked a line one inch from the edge to measure the fabric. I then folded in the raw edge and hemmed around the edge at about a 1/2 seam. I'm planning on make some more. Cotton fabric does shrink after washing, so consider this when deciding on the size.

No comments: