Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hearts and Tigers and Bears, Oh my!

We are snowed in - like we ain't leaving the house for 3 days snowed in. Snow drifts 3 and 4 feet deep. I decided this might be a good time to do our February craft project. This year, Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year fall on the some day. Last year, we did a shape recognition project making animals using hearts. Here's the panda template, but there are links to other heart animals here.

I decided that doing a panda again would be a fun way of tying the two days together. Then I realized it was The Year of the Tiger, so we made tigers too! The website doesn't have a tiger template, so I improvised. I made mine a little bigger, so the boys would have an easier time gluing. Of course, Monkey couldn't resist trying a bit of glue stick. I know a lot of kids are like this, but he'll eat play-doh, glue, and even suck the ink out of a marker if he gets the chance, but turns his nose up at a green bean! Oh well.
We made some of the other critters too: ladybugs, butterflies and mice. By the way, despite appearances my children are very happy little boys, they just NEVER smile when a camera is in their face.




Here are the materials:

Construction paper
Glue or glue sticks
Scissors
Googly eyes
Elastic strips for a mask
Exact-o knife

Cut out all the heart shapes. Older kids might enjoy this as well. We took some of our tigers, cut out eyes and attached elastic string for masks. I punched holes in the sides for the string, but that broke pretty easily. I ended up stapling the elastic to the paper several times.
They even liked them as visors.


After a good deal of roaring around the house, they requested a jungle. I used a green sheet to make a jungle fort. They collected a bunch of their stuffed animal buddies and curled up inside. Tater observed that the jungle smelled like monkeys, and it turned out his little brother had a dirty diaper. It didn't seem to bother either of them. I guess it seemed logical that the jungle would smell like poop.

Anyhow, that is what we did with the better part of our snowy day. I have a feeling we'll do these again.

We didn't get to the zoo in time to say goodbye to Tai Shan, but once the weather clears up, we're planning on a trip to stop by to see the other pandas and maybe a tiger or two. We might bring our masks along and practice our roaring skills.

No comments: