Tuesday, December 15, 2009

25 Days of Crafts! Day 15: Light Bulb Penguins



I have a hard time throwing anything away. It's a problem, really. Just ask my husband. I've just got it in my head that almost everything can be reused somehow.

This project is a great way to repurpose all those incandescent light bulbs. I painted a penguin, but I'm sure you can come up with a variety of creatures. I started by painting the light bulb white. I enlisted Tater's help with that. I painted the metal part green. Red would be another option, of course. I then covered most of the glass with black paint. You can play around with how much black you want your penguin to have, just try to be symmetrical. I eye-balled it, but you can draw it out before you begin. It's easier to paint black over white, than white over black. I added feet and a beak using orange craft foam with hot glue. I painted the eyes with the end of my brush dipped in black paint. Next, I hot-glued looped ribbon to the "top" of the light bulb, the metal part which will be his hat. I wrapped and glued white chenille rods around the hat for trim and to hide the glue.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Super cute!! Thaks for a great idea!!